It’s been quite some time since I last had Tortilla Soup. The reason for this is not because I’m extremely picky (or maybe I am, but the flavor has to be just right!), it’s mostly due to the fact that any soup typically calls for an ingredient filled with Monosodium Glutamate (MSG). What is this culprit ingredient? Canned Chicken Broth.
Canned Chicken Broth is one product that I have never been able to find a clean version of, not even at the specialty grocery stores. I used to think canned chicken broth was my only option. So, every time I came across a recipe that called for this product I passed because no recipe is worth more seizure activity, including Tortilla Soup.
As I became more familiar with from-scratch baking, I discovered that homemade chicken broth is actually a thing. And not only is it a thing, but it it is also a super simple recipe that any person can easily create in their own kitchen. I love this recipe for Chicken Broth and it is a true blessing all of the doors this one ingredient has opened for me in the Recipe World. This particular recipe also holds up well in the freezer and still retains its flavor during the thawing process. When frozen, this chicken broth will last up to 3 months.
***Side Note: Homemade chicken broth takes a few hours to make, therefore having this ingredient on hand already will save you a lot of time in the kitchen. Making your chicken broth in big batches and then freezing part of the batch is the way to go if you want to be efficient with your time and gentle on your patience….Trust me, you’ll thank yourself later!
Tortilla Soup obviously isn’t complete without the Chicken Broth, but the Tortilla Chips play a key role, as well. And I’ve got a phenomenal product for you to try…Late July Sea Salt Tortilla Chips. Hands down, they are my absolute favorite tortilla chips and they have a clean ingredient label! It’s a miracle! But seriously, you should totally check out these chips because they go great with this particular recipe and they have never been a seizure trigger for me.
This recipe is a great lunch or dinner option for those of you who are following gluten-free diets. Simply skip the cheese to keep it dairy-free, as well. This is what I do and the soup still tastes excellent! Adding some extra tortilla chips on top makes for a wonderful cheese replacement, you’ll hardly miss it!
Simply add some lime juice, cilantro and avocado to taste on top for a picture-perfect meal.
This recipe has been adapted from Averie Cooks.
- 2 T Ghee
- 1 cup Yellow Onion, peeled & diced small
- 1 large Jalapeño, diced (include or discard seeds based on preference)
- 4 Garlic Cloves, peeled & minced
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 cans Diced Tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- 1 can Black Beans, drained & rinsed (15 oz)
- 2 cups Shredded Cooked Chicken
- 1 T Lime Juice
- 1 T Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/3 cup Fresh Cilantro Leaves, finely minced
- Diced Avocado for serving, to taste
- Shredded Cheese, to taste
- Sour Cream (optional), to taste
- Using a large stockpot, add 2 tablespoons Ghee and heat over medium-high heat to warm.
- Add the onion and jalapeño, sauté for about 5 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften. Stir occasionally.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, black beans, cayenne pepper, and bring to a boil. Allow mixture to boil gently for about 5-7 minutes. If at any point the overall liquid level looks low or you prefer your soup to have more broth, add 1-2 cups of water; you'll adjust the salt and seasoning levels at the end.
- Add the cilantro and boil for 1 minute.
- Taste soup and add salt to taste. Once the flavor has reached your preferred taste serve immediately.
- Top with diced avocado, shredded cheese, sour cream, or tortilla chips, to taste.
If you decide to give this recipe a try please share your feedback via Twitter & Instagram (@seizethedayblog) or Email (email@example.com). Thank you!
The information posted on Seize the Day Blog, including but not limited to, articles, images, recipes, text and other material are shared for informational purposes only. None of the writings should be looked upon as advice meant to replace that of an actual medical professional. If you suspect you have a serious medical condition you should seek help from a healthcare professional immediately. Please be aware that the author of this website is posting information simply to inform NOT to recommend others about health-related topics. Before following any information (i.e. undertaking a new healthcare or diet routine) found here on Seize the Day Blog, you should always consult a medical professional first. Please be sure to never disregard any medicinal advice because of something you have read on this website.