I absolutely love Mexican food! It is, hands down, my favorite food genre…Is that even a thing??? I have no idea, but if it wasn’t before it is now. One of my favorite things about living in California is the fabulous selection we have of this type of food! Sooooo I’ve been searching for a Red Enchilada Sauce recipe that could actually compare to the sauces served in authentic Mexican restaurants. Thanks to the amazing food blog, Gimme Some Oven, I finally found one that I’m so in love with I had enchiladas for dinner last night and again today for lunch. If we still had some leftover, I would most definitely have enchiladas again for dinner. Not many foods reheat in such a way that they taste even better the second time, but this sauce is one of those diamonds in the rough and it is amazing. So, if you were wondering I have absolutely no shame admitting to the fact that I would eat enchiladas three times in a row. Not only is the flavor amazing, but it is a recipe that is actually healthy for you! It’s a win-win! The recipe is below and I hope you enjoy it as much I do! Bon appetit!
If you’re also looking for an amazing beef enchilada recipe to go with your red sauce, check out this recipe from Gimme Some Oven.
- 2 tablespoons almond oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1. Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour and whisk together over the heat for one minute. Stir in the remaining seasonings (chili powder through cumin). Then gradually add in the stock, whisking constantly to remove lumps. Reduce heat & simmer 10-15 minutes until slightly thickened.
- 2. Use immediately or refrigerate in an air-tight container for up to three days.
Add extra flour to thicken your sauce.
Ball or Mason Jars are great for storing your sauce and keeping it fresh!